top of page

RICH IN

HISTORY AND LEGACY

George Washington Carver High School originally opened as Centerview Colored School in 1923. It was the first official school building for African-Americans in Kannapolis.

In 1936, the school saw improvements to the auditorium (nicknamed "match-box") and more rooms. The building was then renamed George Washington Carver and served students K-12.

The esteemed high school closed its doors in 1967 when public schools were integrated. Most remaining students continued their education at A.L. Brown High School. The buildings were used mostly as an elementary school following integration.

 

A fire broke out in 1970 and destroyed most of the structures. A small portion of the original building survived and was used for office space.

Between 1980 - 2005, the building was used as a middle school, named G. W. Carver Jr. High.

SCHOOL - BUILDING - CARVER - 1947 from a

1923-1967

Then

G. W. Carver High School was originally opened in 1923 as the first official school building for African Americans in Kannapolis,

North Carolina. It was named Centerview Colored School.

GW Carver Now.jpg

Present

Now

G. W. Carver High School is currently used as a community meeting facility (G.W. Carver Alumni Room) with classrooms to facilitate learning for A.L. Brown High School's Career and Technical Education (CTE) students.

bottom of page